Individual Level Strats
- The Null Egg was originally thought to be a random occurrence at the end of 2-2 that would cause the game to crash. That was until ArneTheGreat looked into it further and discovered that the crashes were caused by a rat carrying an egg.
- If you grab the egg from the rat (without destroying him) and he despawns, the egg will also despawn because it is tied to the rat's sprite. When this happens, it creates an open sprite slot in your egg inventory - a null egg. This slot is subsequently filled by the next sprite that loads in, even if its a non-egg sprite like an enemy or collectible. Since sprites being loaded into the egg inventory in this way is not supported by the game, it usually results in a crash.
- After some experimentation, it was figured out that the boss key sprite could be obtained and then used to beat levels soon after they begin. This created the first truly broken/glitched speedrun category Magical Journey.
The following video explains how sprite ID slots work with regards to the Null Egg and also demonstrates the different uses of it.
Getting The Null Egg
This text tutorial corresponds to the video down on the left.
Destroying the enemies in this section is to make sure the correct sprite loads into the open slot in Yoshi's egg inventory.
- Enter the final screen with 6 eggs and do not use any.
- Grab the rat as it jumps out of it's hole and spit it into the green Shy Guy.
- Tongue the Skull Rat and then spit it into the Piranha Plant.
- Jump and grab the egg that the rat is carrying before it falls down. When the rat despawns, you will have the null egg.
- Go up the hill and tongue the first rat and spit it into the second.
- Go back down the hill and follow the rat carrying the egg to the left, up the other hill.
- Scroll the screen up and jump to load an off-screen rat into the open slot in Yoshi's egg inventory.
- Complete the level like normal but do not use any eggs or kill the final Piranha Plant.
Keep in mind that the game can crash upon entering the goal ring if the setup is not done properly.
Getting The Boss Key Sprite
- After getting the Null Egg in 2-2, re-enter 1-8 to fight Salvo to get the boss key sprite into your egg inventory.
- You want to end the fight with 2 eggs + the Null egg if you're running the Beat Bowser category and 3 eggs if you're running Magical Journey. (Both categories are more or less the same except Beat Bowser uses the save corruption trick to makes the run even faster). These eggs will be used for upcoming levels.
- You can use your remaining eggs to throw at the water spitting fish in the second room, the red switch in the room after and one for the boss.
- Throw one egg at Salvo and then finish the fight by spitting the small slimes into him.
- Do not tongue and catch the egg after you throw it, otherwise it will mess up the sprite ID slots and you won't be able to get the boss key.
- Once you complete the boss fight, you will have the boss key in your egg inventory which will allow you to beat every level thereafter really quickly.
In theory, it would be faster to use the boss explosion sprite rather than the boss key sprite but the game crashes in many levels when doing this because the level gets completed before being properly loaded.
Save File Corruption
- You have to use file 2, otherwise it won't work. Up to 3-1, the run is the same as Magical Journey.
- Upon entering 3-1, mash all face buttons, the dpad and the shoulder buttons, as you would in any intro to skip it. But instead of mashing at full speed, mash a little slower. Practicing on emulator with RAM watch is advised, just so you can practice how fast you have to mash.
- Jump up the foam, and jump over the red coin. Run up the branch, and once you start falling off, press left to turn left, while still moving to the right. Keep falling until you hit the wall under the right branch and then flutter. If done correctly, the screen should always scroll in a certain way. If the screen is in the right as the corruption happens, you always get 6-8.
- After you complete 3-1, reset the console, select file 2 and just finish 6-8 as you normally would.
- Note: The Save Corruption only works on version J1.0
- Collecting an egg accidentally, doing the fast strat in 2-5, will change the result and you need a different setup, check out the video on the right and read the description.
The position of the boss key sprite affects how quickly a level gets completed. Compared to having 3 eggs in front of the key:
- Having 2 eggs loses 9 frames per level.
- 1 egg loses 47 frames.
- 0 eggs loses 49 frames.
The Boss Key also affects a few levels differently depending on the version. From fastest to slowest overall version it's:
- J1.0 > J1.2 > J1.1 > U1.1 > PAL > U1.0
The Null Egg In Other Levels
3-6 Null Egg
The Null Egg can also be acquired in 3-6. A Screen Transition sprite can then replace the Null Egg to trigger a 1-1 Warp to complete the level. Unfortunately for the IL run of this level, the 1-1 Warp is slower than doing the level normally, however, the 3-6 Null Egg can be used in 100% No Restrictions to save multiple minutes.
6-4 Null Egg
The Null Egg can even acquired in 6-4! While it is harder to get than the Null Egg in 2-2, this one actually saves time in an IL run, unlike the one in 3-6, since it allows you to skip most of the room before the boss where you would normally do the Lava Skip (or take the log). A middle-ring replaces the Null Egg and upon dying and respawning, you're placed after the lava section. All you have to do after is fight Tap-Tap.
Head over to the DLC page to find useful tools like Lua with sprite slots and RAM watch that will help a lot to learn and better understand specific Null Egg things.