From Yoshi's Island Speedrunning Wiki
- The major notable trick in this level is referred to as the "1-2 skip," which entirely bypasses the second screen of 1-2
- Though very precise, the trick is easily attempted multiple times in succession and can be grasped by a new player with a little bit of practice.
- The recommended method for performing this trick involves spitting a flower enemy (Crayzee Dayzee) into the wall and bouncing off of it as shown in the GIF.
- After landing 1-2 skip, you go a bit to the left so you can have right momentum when you clear the wall.
- You have to jump over the second pit or you will fall in and lose time.
- Be sure to have an extra egg to shoot the pihranha plant near the end, saving a bit of time not collecting the red coins.
1-2 Skip: Spit Method
- You set up the flower spit by touching the left side of the wooden post closest to the wall as shown in the video.
- Then jump onto the post while holding right and jump when you are in about the middle of the post.
- Hold B the entire time.
- When Yoshi is about directly over the red arrow, release forward and press Y at about the same time.
- If you did it on the correct frame, you will continue holding B and be able to easily flutter over the ledge.
1-2 Skip: Perfect Jump Method
- This 1-2 skip method is performed by combining a perfect jump with an extended flutter.
- The trick is simple to understand, but hard to execute: you must bounce on a Shy Guy and then immediately perform a first-frame jump off of the wooden posts.
- If executed correctly, Yoshi will flutter much higher than usual.
- A second flutter can then give Yoshi just enough height to go on top of the level, and skip the entire middle section.
Optimal Second Screen
- You can opt out of 1-2 skip and complete the 2nd screen when just starting out.
- For the jump under the flower, just press and hold jump at the red arrow sign and the auto flutter will get you on the ledge.